Welcome To Our World

Thanks for dropping in. Our intent is to inform and entertain through our pictures and writings.







Thursday, July 8, 2010

Hot Springs Cove to Ucluelet - A Dose of Technology

Hello all. First, I owe a great big thank you to Tara (SV Sumitra) for updating the blog for me. We had a glitch with the email on the HAM radio. My husband, being the genius he is, doesn't know what he did but he got it working. We were able to send out a few emails. It is a very slow system but it works.

Second, for those of you who worried about us, we really appreciate it. Someone, I won't mention any names, even called the Coast Guard. Beleive me, we feel the love from all of you.

Ahhhh, life at Hot Springs Cove was great. Each morning we would trundle along the boardwalk for our morning soak. We actually stayed a day longer than planned with hopes our friends on Moon Shadow VI would catch up with us. Alas, they got held up in Friendly Cove with weather so we decided to push on.

For all of you non-boaters who would like to experience Hot Springs Cove, there is a floating B&B there. It is called Innchanter (www.inchanter.com). We were snoopy, OK it was me that was snoopy but Ron came along. We introduced ourselves and toured the floating inn. It is very cosy and tastefully decorated. There are row boats and kayaks at your disposal. Also, every meal is catered by a chef. We didn't eat his creations but do understand from people who did that he is a fine chef.

While in Hot Springs Cove we crabbed and got three huge Dungeness and Ron hooked a ling cod. Shortly after bring the cod aboard we noticed a humpback whale cruising back and forth to the entrance to the cove. It also was where we were fishing. Hmmmm, me thinks the fish scattered when they saw the whale because they sure were not biting. That was fine because we had enough for supper.

Did I tell the that the falls at the Hot Springs are too hot to stand under. You just cannot adjust the temperature. It is amazing. If you are curious I am sure you can google it. They also smell like sulpher.

Sidebar note: when you are a HAM radio operator there are many people you may talk to and never meet any of them. As we are working our way around the island we are talking to different people as we can pick them up and vica versa. My call sign is VA7TDA so when I check in each morning, I am near the end of the list because of TDA. There was one fella after me. His call sign is VE0TI. Well, we met him at Hot Springs Cove. It was like being greeted by an old friend. We shared meals together and he shared many, many stories of his twenty-one (21) times around Vancouver Island. Ron and I are neophytes compared to Roly.

We finally have had some beautiful weather, as I think the rest of you are experiencing too. With the beautiful weather we had a grand trip from the Hot Springs to Ahousat.

If you folks think the Victoria Inner Harbour is busy, you should sit at Ahousat and watch the traffic. Per capita, I am sure Ahousat has Victoria beat for traffic - fish boats, sport fishing boats, tin working boats, sailboats and airplanes - all coming and going the entire day, 0500 to 2100. It was very interesting to sit and observe.

From Ahousat we set out for Ucluelet. Another grand day on the water. The scenery is awesome. The mountains are numerous shades of green. I wish I were an artist. I have said it before and I will say it again - I now realize what a spectacular island we live on. The coastline is inviting is some places, teases you in other places and is downright forbidding in others. My hat is off to the people who live in these areas year round.

Passing by Tofino and the beaches in the Pacific Rim Park was a perspective I had not experienced before. Always, I was on land looking out to sea. While there are sandy beaches, the coastline is rugged and dangerous. Whales galore but not close enough to photograph. It seems this year they are camera shy.

Here we sit at Ucluelet - well sitting is not the best adjective. We have been grocery shopping, doing laundry, makeing phone calls and catching up on emails not to mention updating the blog.

It is in Ucluelet that we finally made contact and met up with Moon Shadow VI. Last night, the four of us and another couple had a subperb dinner at Matterson House. Tonight we will share a meal on board Moon Shadow VI.

Tomorrow we will head for Bamfield. We just discovered last night that we will be in time for the Music By The Sea Festival. We will take in the first concert on Saturday night. Luck will have it too that our neighbour from Westbay Marine Village will be visiting Bamfield. It will be a grand time. I hear the food and the entertainment is second to none.

Until next update (by me or by Tara) take care.

And to my and Ron's workmates, yes it is true we do not want to come home... however,we will.
I was just saying to someone this morning that I would be happy to get to Victoria, provision uup and go around again. Alas, work does get in the way of fun.

It is also true that we do miss everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment