Welcome To Our World

Thanks for dropping in. Our intent is to inform and entertain through our pictures and writings.







Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Technology In Remote Areas Just Isn't There...

First of all, I want all of you to know that I tried to update the blog some time ago but our lovely Telus stick booted me out after two hours of updates. I was just too tired to re-write.

My apologies to anyone who has been worrying. We have come to find that there are telephones out here but not all of them work. And, if they are broken, it does not seem like a priority to have them fixes. It was just the day before yesterday that I had an opportunity to call the kids.

Now, on to the updates. Let me tell you that we have not had any 'nice' weather. We have come to the conclusion that if the clouds are above the mast, then it is a clear day. Yesterday and today we were worried about stepping out in the rain for fear that our lifejackets would self-inflate thinking that we were undewater.

We are currently sitting in Tahsis. And yes, it has been so long since I last wrote that I do not know where to begin. I will keep our adventures brief for fear that you will fall asleep at my ramblings.

Prior to leaving Victoria, I purchased a crab trap and a prawn trap. In the crab trap I have managed to catch and release two starfish. The prawn trap, as I type, is sitting in the depths of Tahsis Inlet. My fingers are crossed!

We have been to a couple locations where the areas are contaminated. Can you beleive it... way out here and I wasn't able to lower the traps. We are not sure what is causing the contamination. As you can imagine, there is no one here to talk to.

OH, to put your minds at rest, I have been checking into the Great Northern Boaters Net on teh HAM radio each morning. For the most part, propogation is good but the odd morning I require a relay. If any of you need to know our whereabouts this is what you do - email Barbara Hodgson Kluane3@shaw.ca. Put Ta Daa in the subject line and she will pass on information to us or simply let you know that all is well on board.

On to the exciting stuff - we skirted around Johnstone Strait on the way up island and spent a bit of time in the Broughtons. It was there that a bear swam past our boat - yes, I have pictures. We had happy hour in Lagoon Cove which consisted of wine, new friends and fresh prawns.

We made our way to Bull Harbour. This is the last stop before rounding Cape Scott. We were mighty excited and anxious at the same time. If I remember correctly, we slipped into silence as we left Bull Harbour, crossed Nawhitti Bar and rounded Cape Scott. It was a moment to remember. We spotted many sea otters and a few whales.

We made our next stop Winter Harbour. This is a very quaint location. All the spots are very quiet and tranquil. After Winter Harbour we visited 'The Bunsbys'. Sounds like old friends but it is actually a group of islands. Again we saw a bear only this time he was on the beach rather than swimmimg past the boat. After the Bunsbys we headed for Walter Cove.

Walter Cove is a very interesting place. It was here that we witnessed eagles (young and old) feeding on fish scraps on the beach. Then... (drum roll please) we saw two eagles lock talons in the trees above us. They each had one leg locked to the other - yes I got pictures. It wasn't until they fell from the tree that they were able to release. Apparently they cannot release unless they fall. I must look that up when I get home.

After Walter's Cove we headed to Queen Cove. This is a summer village of the First Nations however, most houses are now abandoned. I was ab le to get a picture of the church steeple poking it's steeple through the trees. In all the books we read, boaters are asked to respect First Nations land therefore, Ron and I do not go ashore to snoop.

Funny thing, while we were anchored in Queen Cove, there was an active logging operation going on just above the shoreline. We could not see them but could hear the buzzing of chainsaws, the crashing of trees to the ground and... the blasting of rock to push forward the road. It just felt wrong...

By the way, our little Winston has been great. At first he did not like the swells of the open ocean but now he doesn't mind. He walks around the cockpit and cuddles up to whom ever is not steering the boat. He is loving all the attention during the time we are not sailing - the dinghy rides, the beach walks and just being with us.

We left Queen Cove this morning and headed to Tahsis. It has been pouring rain off and on all day but the scenery is still magnificant. We can only imagine what it would be like if we could see the tops of the mountains.

We send our love to all. Thank you for your emails wondering where we are. I will update again when I am able.

Also, to put your mind a peace - - I call the Coast Guard to update them on our location each time we to a different location.

Need to sign off now... it is pouring rain and the wind is blowing rain on my laptop.

Love to all!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Janice and Ron...glad that you are having such a wonderful time. I was certainly getting worried as there was a long stretch without an update. Have a happy Canada Day, and keep on enjoying your trip. Caroline

    ReplyDelete